SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA
THE WAY TO SANTIAGO: THE ORIGIN
The tour has a duration of 3 hours
Reception desk (Catholic Kings Hostel), Obradoiro Square
Number of people
Minimum 2 people, maximum 25 people
The tour is a historic walking tour through the main monuments, streets and buildings of Santiago de Compostela, highlighting its influence, importance and relevance to the city.
From the starting point at the entrance of the Hostel of Catholic Kings, the tour includes the following highlights:
- Obradoiro Square: it´s the main city square, named like this because of the workshops (obradoiros in Galician language) and people who worked in the city. The square is the kilometer zero of the Way to Santiago, a meeting point for thousands of pilgrims.
- Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela (ticket not included, optional): the cathedral is the symbol and the end point of the Way to Santiago, with Romanesque structure and Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque effects.
- Catholic Kings Hostel: in the beginning it was a hospital and refuge for pilgrims, founded in the XV century, becoming National Parador in the XX century. It might be the oldest guest house in Europe.
- Rajoy Palace: XVII century neoclassical building, designed as a seminary, and actually the Town Hall of Santiago. Its image of St. James Knight is impressive.
- Saint Jerónimo College: renaissance building, it was the college for “poor students”, and actually is the Rectory of Santiago de Compostela University (USC).
- Street Franco, Street Raina, Street Vilar and Street Nova: this is a beautiful walking tour around the most important commercial streets of the city.
- Visit to the Local Market Square: it´s the main city market.
THE TOUR IMAGES
Tower of Hercules and Sculpture Park